menu

Maserati Mistral 4000 Spyder 1967 Bianco Polo Park

The Maserati Mistral was a wonderful 2-seat gran turismo produced between the years of 1963 and 1970. It was the successor to the 3500 GT, the styling was done by Frua, while the car was bodied by Maggiora in Turin. Limited in its production the coupés saw a total number of 828 examples, while the elusive Spyder just had 125 examples made. The name of the car derives from the cold northerly wind of southern France, it was also the first in a series of classic Maseratis to be give the name of a wind.

The Mistral is the last model from the Casa del Tridente (“House of the Trident”) to have the company's renowned twin-spark, double overhead cam straight six engine. Fitted to the Maserati 250F Grand Prix cars, it won 8 Grand Prix between 1954 and 1960 and one F1 World Championship in 1957, being driven by Juan Manuel Fangio. The engine featured hemispherical combustion chambers fed by a Lucas indirect fuel injection system, a new development for Italian car manufacturers. Maserati subsequently moved on to V8 engines for their later production cars to keep up with the demand for ever more powerful machines.

Three engine were fitted to the Mistral, displacing 3500, 3700 and 4000 cc and developing 235 bhp at 5500 rpm, 245 bhp at 5500 rpm and 255 bhp at 5200 rpm, respectively. Only the earliest of the Mistrals were equipped with the 3500 cc, the most sought after derivative is the 4000 cc model. Unusually, the body was offered in both aluminium and, from 1967, in steel, but no one is quite sure how many of each were built. The car came standard with a five speed ZF transmission and four wheel solid disc brakes. Per Maserati practice, the front suspension was independent and the rear solid axle. Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h for both the 3.7 liter and 4.0 liter engines was around or just under 7 seconds, with a top speed of approximately 225 km/h to 233 km/h.

The body, designed by Pietro Frua, was first shown in a preview at the Salone Internazionale dell'Automobile di Torino in November 1963. It is generally considered one of the most beautiful Maseratis of all time.

The car shown here is a restored example with a stunning colour combination of white with red leather interior. It is a Mistral Spyder with the sought after 4000 cc engine. Just 125 examples of the Spyder were produced. Only 37 cars are reputed to have been build with the 4000 cc engine. It is a real collector’s item!

According to Maserati Classiche this car has been manufactured in July 1967 and was finished in Bianco Polo Park with Rosso Conolly leather interior as it still is today.

The car was delivered in 1967 to Foreign Car City of New York with EE plates.

Finally the car moved to Arizona and from there it was sold to a very big German collector in 2003. In 2006 it was sold to Switzerland and in 2012 to France. In 2014 it was restored fro the current enthusiast owner. The car has its matching nrs engine.

It comes with the full Maserati Classiche package with built sheets, manuals and certificates.

Furthermore the car has restoration records and copies of previous registrations.

Mileage recorded 74.351 km. Dutch registered and APK (MOT/TUV/CT).

A very elegant and rare Maserati, distinguished by its lovely colour combination.

Price on application but very correct in today's market.

Share this page

Vestigingen

KNAC Ambassadeur

VSOC

Mme Curiestraat 8
2171 TW Sassenheim

P: +31 (0) 252 218 980
F: +31 (0) 252 218 981
E: info@vsoc.nl

Events archive

News and events

Happy summer holidays!

August 05th 2017 , 14:22:56
We wish all our customers happy summer holidays! We at VSOC will continue to be open on Saturdays, on weekdays we ... » more information